Thursday, July 10, 2008

Moroccan Spice Mix Challenge

When I was in Morocco last month I purchased a pouch of fish and poultry spice. I'm not 100 percent sure what is included in the mix, but my best guess is that it is made up of cumin, ginger, cinnamon, coriander, cayenne, allspice, cloves, turmeric, and paprika.

I had planned to whip something up for my guests in Spain, but never had the chance. I brought the mix on my trip back to the states this month thinking I could cook for my friends one night. That didn't happen either.

Last night, after being carried across three continents, I finally used the spice mix. It was a weeknight so I wanted to make something quick and easy. I pound out two chicken breasts to about half and inch. (A therapeutic activity in itself.) Then, used the spice mix as a dry rub. I let the chicken marinate for an hour or so while I went for a run and prepared the rest of the meal, which included couscous with turmeric, raisins, and walnuts and pan roasted tomatoes and mushrooms. Before cooking the breast I lightly coated then in flour to stop the spices from burning. Then I sautéed them in olive oil for three minutes each side.

The result was better then I expected. The chicken extremely flavorful and had a slightly crisp exterior and a moist flesh.

No comments: