Saturday, July 12, 2008

Far From the Perfect Omelet

Hungary? Check out The Apron Caper for recopies, tips, and stories of what not to do in the kitchen.

Textbook omelets are yellow, folded in half or in thirds, and not broken. My omelets are browned, flipped but not necessarily folded, and almost always broken.

This morning I did a little research about what my problems may be. First off, I haven't been using a nonstick pan. I love my AllClad frying pans, and forget that they are not perfect for everything. Also, I haven't been thinning my eggs out with water. Some sites claim that this helps to produce a fluffier omelet. I personally think it doesn't sound very appetizing, but I'll give it a try next time if it will improve my results.

The final problem is keeping the eggs from browning. I haven’t figured out how to melt the cheese without the eggs getting “a touch of the pain.” If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To melt the cheese try putting a lid on the pan for a minute at the very end. I usually turn the burner off when I cover the pan, the cheese melts quickly and it ensures that any last bit of egg gets cooked.

Collee