Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Making Bavarian Potato Salad

I don't know if it was my post about what constitutes "German Potato" salad, or if it was simply a great side dish to serve with our Schnitzel, but our Saturday night cooking lessons also included a demo on how to make Bavarian-style potato salad.

Albert and Tina, south German transplants, told me that potato salad with mayonnaise can be found in the northern part of the country. Bavarian-style potato salad, on the other hand, is dressed with vinegar, mustard, oil, and a bit of beef broth.

Until now I've always preferred my potato salad to any other, but this recipe is outstanding! I don't know if its the type of Kressi Herbed vinegar, which is a white wine vinegar spiced with herbs and garden cress,* Maggi Wurze seasoning, or the beef broth that makes it so delicious, but I honestly think this might replace my usual concoction. (Sorry Mom!)

The trick, Tina claims, is to listen to the potato salad. It will speak to you and tell you when it's ready. (I made a video of the sound, and as soon as I can figure out how to edit it, I'll post it for you to hear.)

The recipe is posted below.

* Garden cress is a pepper green related to watercress and mustard greens.

No comments: