Thursday, May 15, 2008

German-American Potato Salad

My mom’s version of this salad included pickle juice. Because I don’t always have pickles in the fridge, I’ve replaced the pickle juice with apple cider vinegar and include capers.

6 medium potatoes
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon mustard
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 red onion, minced
3 tablespoons capers in liquid
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Salt and pepper

Cover potatoes with well-salted cold water and bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are easily pierced with a stake knife. Drain water and cool until they are easy to handle.

Peel potatoes and place in a large bowl. Add mayonnaise, mustard, and vinegar. Using your hand, squeeze the potatoes to incorporate the dressing. Mix in capers. Add salt and pepper and taste. You may need to add more dressing since the amount of moister in the potatoes can vary.

Mix in onion and parsley. This salad can be served hot or cold.

1 comment:

paulnojustpaul said...

Thanks for posting this, Erin!

You inspired me to bite the bullet, stop worrying about which version of this salad is the one, and just go in the general direction you think is right.

FWIW, in mine I wound back the mayonnaise a little (all I had was Miracle Whip so didn't want it to be too sweet), added some finely chopped celery (sauted with the onion), chopped dill pickle, horseradish, and a few bits of shredded ham (apologies if you're a veg/vegan, I've only just stumbled on your blog.)

I was going to let it suffuse in the fridge overnight for our work lunches but my lovely wife couldn't wait and had it for dinner. :-)