Saturday, August 16, 2008

Burgers?

Does anyone know where to get a great burger in German?

Last night Kevin and I went to the Irish Pub in Bad Godesburg. It's the only place we know of to get a burger in Deutschland. The burgers there aren't bad. They certainly satisfied us. But we could still use another place as well.

This spring we tried to get a burger at one of the beer gardens on the Rhine. The menu advertised that they had all sorts of "burgers." The list probably included 10 different variations. Kevin ordered the Italian burger, which came on a chibata roll with mozzarella, basil, and tomato. The problem was, when the "burger" arrived, the only think on the roll was tomato, mozzarella, and basil.

Since then, we shy of trying these typical American sandwiches.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I too have not yet found a decent burger in Bonn. Although I haven't really tried - 4 years of disappointing burger experiences in Switzerland has given me little hope.

I have had one disappointing German burger experience ao far in Bonn, at Meyer's on Clemens-August-Str.. The "burger" was more of a steak on a bun and had to be eaten with a knife and fork. It tasted good, but was no burger!

Erin said...

Thanks for letting me know that I am not the only one who hasn't found many burgers in Bonn.

I recently read an article in the New York Times along with an audio slide show called "Hamburgers Conquer Paris." (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/16/dining/16paris.html?scp=2&sq=burgers&st=cse)

I hope this trend comes to Germany soon.