Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Broiled Figs With Goat Cheese

I've always liked a Fig Newton and enjoyed the occasional fresh fig, purchased on a whim when I'd see them in season at the farmers market. Then, while living in New York I worked with a woman who had a fig tree in her yard. She didn't much care for the fruit and, every fall, would bring me sacks of them. It was during this time of wonderful glutton that I really came to love them.
One of my favorite ways to prepare a fig:

  • Slice an X into the top two-thirds of the fruit while leaving the bottom section connected.
  • Pinch the bottom a bit to expose the flesh
  • Sprinkle it with a touch of salt, balsamic vinegar, and a teaspoon of crumbled of goat cheese.
  • Pop the figs under the broiler for a couple of minutes to allow the cheese to get warm and just slightly browned.
The preparation makes a wonderful appetizer or side dish with a pan-search pork chop and sautéed greens.

No comments: